Flumioxazin experiment

May 9, 2015

Flumioxazin is a broad-spectrum contact herbicide. It works by interfering with the plants’ production of chlorophyll. Treated plants will respond quickly to treatment and rapidly decompose. Flumioxazin is an N-phenylphthalimide herbicide. The mode of action in this family of herbicides is believed to be inhibition of protoporphyrinogen oxidase, an enzyme important in the synthesis of chlorophyll. Mechanistic study findings suggest that porphyrins accumulate in susceptible plants causing photosensitization, which leads to membrane lipid peroxidation. The peroxidation of membrane lipids leads to irreversible damage of membrane function and structure in susceptible plants. Treatment of soil with flumioxazin will cause susceptible emerging plants to turn necrotic and die shortly after exposure to sunlight.

– reacts with direct sunlight. Combined with glyphosphat – bronzing can be observed within 15 minutes under strong sunlight. However full saturation spraying is recommended since there is no translocation capabilities.
– tank mix with paraquat @ 16 liter tank / grammazone strength 13%: 240 ml / Simezine 10 grammes. Premixing was not recommended. However based on my experiment with 4 litres of paraquat. I did not notice loss of potency due to antagonistic chemical reaction.
– field experiments conducted in section RB1 / BH / still to early to draw a conclusive result.
– non water soluble. So presumably it has good re emergent capabilities. But I need to find out – does it volatize under extreme exposure to sunlight. If so what is the half life.
– Handling of flumioxazin powder is very messy. A safe system involving batch weights needs to be devised. The current packing from Sumitomo Chemicals does not facilitate zero contamination. I need to speak to them to find out whether there is an industrial packaging that can be easily managed while kitted in a chemical suit.
– Asystasia broad leaf turns necrotic within glyphostate and flumioxazin mix. Within six days of application despite moderate rainfall. The results are still good. However in batch 29 and 24. It was noted that emerging leafs had sprouted again. I need to find out the systemology for this. Why does some weeds die off so well, while others seem to survive. I suspect there could be more than one genus of asystasia. I do not believe differing results had anything to do with contamination of chemicals. As I took great care in ensuring the proper dosage. image

– Cost of flumioxazin is expensive. Works out to $4.20 @ 16 liter tank. One batch yields exactly 25 shots @ 10g.
– I have decided to abandon all experiments with arsenicals. They have all failed.
– I will begin testing idaziflam when the dry season sets in.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: