Why is Trump and Putin meeting in Alaska?
August 15, 2025
I realize many see this as an Ukrainian focussed meeting. But I don’t. I see this as an exploration meeting between Trump and Putin to harvest the vast resource wealth in the Artic and Alaska. The Russians for the last 40 years have built up core competencies in ice breaking technology that is hard for any country including China to replicate in scale and quality. The Arktika class are nuclear powered and the hulls are constructed out of a one of kind special alloy….the long and short is this. If the US wants a stake in the Artic wealth, they need to work with both the Russians and Chinese…..as for the EU and the rest of the world. I don’t think they are important at all when it comes to this meet.
This is really how I see it…the Artic is resource rich and that has always been problematic to Russia. Because with the EU needs a steady source of oil and gas and if I am not mistaken 8 countries have laid competing claims to the region. If Russia can work with the US, the Canadians and Scandinavian countries will be pushed to one corner. Putin knows this, Trump may or may not know, but since the profit motive is a large portion of the calculus. I think Trump will eventually come to this realization.
I dont see Ukraine in the picture at all…if it features it will just be a sidedish.